Thursday, August 14, 2008

tell me

i have the overwhelming urge to write. but i find myself stuck btwn a rock and a...rock i guess. at times i wish i had kept this blog a secret, so i could make the deepest of confessions, a blind glimpse into my life. readers would never "know" me so i could, in essence be whom so ever i please. oh to escape the constant pressures of the standards of others. but now the bar is set, i strive every day to be the person i was yesterday, as witty as the day before, as happy as last night, as loving as i ever was. tell me. who are you? now tell me. who do they say you are? and once more, tell me. who do you really want to be? for example: i am maya. they say im mya. i wanta be Maya. its more than meets the eye. "maya" lowercase "m" i havnt quite lived up to the potential and dreams i have set for myself. my own ambitions lie unstirred within me until awaken by some amazing revelation or movement or even just the sudden urge of gemini's fickle ways. they say im "mya" mispelled, meaning they dnt know me at all. down to the simplest of phonetics, they cant grasp the great idea which is me. as a child i would tell anyone-everyone who spelled my name this way they were illiterate, "you dont read?! Maya Angelou, the author!" i told my principle this in 4th grade. i wanta be "Maya" capatilized "M" i am established and concrete. overall accepted as authentic and gramatically correct in the english language, the capitol "M" will symbolize the beginning of definig myself, for myself. the start of the sentence that will become the statement of my life. get it? now tell me...who are you?

No comments: